This is my own original creation and it is a very easy, quick and delicious dish. Also you do not need to prepare a lot of ingredients. When I feel that I just want an easy thing to eat I always make this. It tastes sweet, salty and goes perfectly with rice.
For the toppings I use the Japanese Onsen Tamago, but you can always use a Poached egg instead.
I will write about how to make perfect Japanese onsen tamago later.
Sweet & Salty Aubergine (Eggplant)
- 1 Medium Aubergine (around 270g) Sliced Thinly
- 2 tbsp Bowls of freshly steamed rice I recommend Korean sticky rice
- 3 tbsp Oil for shallow frying
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 15 g Butter
- 3 tbsp Mirin
- 3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Sake or White Wine
- 1 ½ tbsp Sugar
- Japanese Onsen Tamago (An egg slow-boiled so that the yolk is hard but the white is still soft. Traditionally cooked in a hot spring) or you could use a Poached egg.
- 2 Green Onions Finely Chopped
- In a bowl, add the soy sauce, mirin, white wine sugar and mix well for later.
- Heat a frying pan and add the oil, over a medium heat. Then add the aubergine and shallow fry it until becomes soft then remove it.
- Use some kitchen paper to remove the excess oil from the pan.
- Over a low heat add the butter, once its melted add the garlic and fry for around 1 minute or until the fragrance has be released. Next add the sauce and bring it to the boil. Add the aubergine into the pan and mix it well .
- Once the Aubergine is well covered, serve it onto the rice and top with green onions and the Onsen Tamago or Poached egg. You can always add more sauce to the finished dish.
- Enjoy your delicious healthy meal. 😀