Potato Croquettes are so simple to make and are an excellent side dish or snack. With this recipe I added bacon and mozzarella to make them a little more luxurious. Rather than the typical deep fried version, with these we will bake them in the oven and give them a lovely colour by frying the breadcrumbs before coating the potato balls.
Potato Croquettes with Bacon and Mozzarella
- 2 Potatoes (around 500g) roughly chopped
- ½ Onion finely chopped
- 2 slices Streaky Bacon finely chopped
- 1 tsp Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 150 g Mozzarella cut into small pieces
- ⅓ cup Cup of Plain Flour
- 1 cup Panko (Bread Crumbs)
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- Ready a pan of boiling water and add the potatoes. Cook until soft.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain the water and add the salt, pepper and butter. Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Ready a frying pan over a medium heat and add the oil, add the bacon then fry it until it becomes golden brown then add the onion and fry it until it becomes soft. Next remove it and let it cool down.
- In a small frying pan add the panko and the vegetable oil, and use low heat to stir fry it evenly, until it becomes golden brown (you need to stir it often or some of them will be burn and some will not change colour), then let it cool down.
- Add the bacon and the onion into the mashed potato and mix it well. Prepare heat the oven 210C. Then divide the mashed potato into 16 (if you prefer a bigger size you can just divide into 8). Add the mozzarella into mashed potato and roll it into small ball.
- Once all finish, cover with plain flour ,egg and panko, put them into the oven cook around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Enjoy your meal.