Taiwanese Fried Sauce Noodles, is fried pork mince with a sweet and salty sauce. Topped with julienned cucumber and carrot. This is one of my favourite noodle dishes, the sauce is really flavourful. With the saltiness and sweetness the noodles are just perfect. You could also eat this sauce with rice. If you have the chance to vist Taiwan, you will find almost every noodle shop has this dish.
What is the sauce?
The sauce is made from frying minced pork, soy bean paste and sweet bean paste. We also like to add dried tofu. However in my recipe I have made a change, I used chilli bean sauce instead of soy bean paste to add some spice and heat. I also replaced the dried tofu and used cubed king oyster mushrooms. This works really really well.
Which noodles to use?
Really you can use any noodle you like for this dish, whichever type you prefer.
When you cook the noodles, you only want them “al dente” or chewy rather than soft. This gives the dish a better texture.
I would recommend knife-cut noodles. Sometimes they are called ‘ribbon’ noodles. They are a broad, flat dried Taiwanese noodle. Some brands can have slightly frilly edges.
Fried sauce noodles(炸醬麵)
- 200 g Minced Pork
- 100 g King Oyster Mushroom – cubed
- 1 Shallot – sliced
- 1 Large Garlic Clove – Minced
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Chilli Bean Sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp Sweet Bean Paste
- 2 tbsp Oil for frying
- 300 g Cooked dry noodles (cook as per the packet instructions)
- 40 g Julienne Carrot
- 40 g Julienne Cucumber
- Ready a pan, add the oil and the shallot with a medium heat. Once shallot starts to change colour, add the pork.
- Fry the Pork until its all cooked then add the garlic and mix it well.
- Add the cubed mushrooms and cook until it changes colour. Next add the chilli bean sauce and mix it well.
- Add the Sweet Bean Paste mix it well then add the sugar and mix well again.
- Add the soy sauce and the water, give it a good mix and cook until the sauce becomes sticky, this should only take a minute or 2.
- Cook the noodle, then lay it in the bowl, add the sauce and topping.
- Enjoy your meal. 😀