Craving a taste of Taiwan? Make Dan bing, a savoury pancake filled with egg and your favourite toppings, for a delicious breakfast any time of day.
What is Dan Bing?
Dan Bing is an incredibly popular Street Food breakfast / snack in Taiwan. You can find it at most street vendors and breakfast cafés. “Dan” is “Egg” and “Bing” is “Cake”. In addition it is also know it as a Taiwanese Egg Pancake.
Which sauce do I use?
In Taiwan we like eat Dan Bing with a sweet thick soy sauce which uses sticky flour, sugar and soy sauce. It is then cooked to make it thick. We also like eat with a sweet sticky spicy sauce. In the morning time, everyone is busy, so we developed a simple sauce which goes great with Dan Bing. Many of the traditional sauce ingredients are quite difficult to get in the UK. However this sauce contains ingredients which are easy to find in most supermarkets.
In Taiwan there are two ways of making the pancake. Firstly we have the loose batter, this is the most popular. The other kind uses a dough similar to a Green Onion Pancake.
The ingredients for Dan Bing are very easy to find in any supermarket, you do not need anything special.
I would recommend you consider your fillings and prepare them before starting to cook the pancakes.
I have included 2 simple sauce recipes for you to try too. 🙂
This recipe has been updated since first publishing.
Dan Bing 蛋餅
- 1 Large Frying Pan
- 1 Sauce Pan
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Whisk
- 1 Ladle
- 120 g Plain Flour
- 40 g Corn Flour (or you can use Potato Flour)
- 220 ml Water
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Oil for frying – per pancake
Eggs (one portion)
- 1 Egg
- ½ Green Onion (Spring Onion), thinly sliced
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch White Pepper
Filling (one portion)
- 1 handful Grated Cheese
- 2 slices Sandwich Ham
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 2 tsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tsp Chilli Bean Paste
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Water or Hot Water to melt the Sugar
Taiwanese Thick Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Corn Flour
- 3 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Garlic – Finely Chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl add the ketchup, chilli bean paste, sugar, light soy sauce and a little warm / hot water to melt the sugar. Mix well and allow to cool.
- In a bowl add the sugar, corn flour, soy sauce and water. Give it all mix and transfer to a sauce pan over a medium low heat. *Stir until the sauce starts to thicken, then remove and pour into a serving bowl.*Be careful not to burn or it will have a bitter flavour.
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, corn flour, salt and water. Mix well until smooth. Once mixed set to one side for later.
- Crack one egg into a bowl, add the green onions, salt & white pepper and mix.
- Over a medium low heat add 1 tbsp of oil to a frying pan. Pour a 1 ladle of batter in and spread it around using the back of the a ladle. Fry it until the batter changes colour.
- Turn over and cook the other side. When you see the bubbles, lift an edge to see if it has taken a nice colour. Then flip over again. Cook for 30 seconds more, then lift the dan bing out.Pour the egg mixture into the pan (if you need more oil, add some). Then place the dan bing over the egg and cook through.
- Once cooked, flip it over so the egg is at the top. You can add any filling you like, for example: Ham and Cheese. Carefully roll the Dan Bing.
- This is now complete, it is served by slicing and dipping into the sauce prepared earlier. Or if you prefer you can enjoy Dan Bing with ketchup, sweet chilli sauce or any sauce you prefer.
- Enjoy your Dan Bing!! 🙂
- When you begin to cook the dan bing, do not use a high heat or it will be difficult to spread.