This recipe was inspired by a YouTube channel I watch, it’s called MiniVanLife. A lovely couple are touring Japan in a very small camping car where they quite often cook. One of the recipes they made was the popular Beef Pepper Rice dish you can find at Pepper Lunch restaurants in Japan and across the world. In their version they added cabbage, where as in my version I have left out the cabbage and replaced the sauce with a Red Wine sauce.
What is Pepper Lunch?
Pepper Lunch was created in 1994 by chef and inventor Kunio Ichinose. He wanted to serve quality fast food without hiring a chef. He created a method using hot metal plates that are heated to 500F (260C) by an electromagnetic cooker. The raw meat, vegetables, and rice are then placed on the plates, where they cook in front of the customer. The meat can be eaten rare or well done, depending on the customer’s preference. The meal is then mixed with a choice of either the special honey brown sauce (Amakuchi) or garlic soy sauce (Karakuchi).
Source: Pepper Lunch – Wikipedia
How to make the Beef Pepper Rice?
This is a very quick and easy meal to cook at home. Once you have steamed your rice, add it to a bowl to create the nice shape. Heat a frying and add some butter. Put the rice in the centre of the pan and place your sliced beef / steak around it. Then to the top of the rice add corn, green onions, butter and black pepper. Allow the beef to cook a little, then pour on the sauce. Next mix everything together and you’ll end up with a lovely beef fried rice.
Pepper Lunch | Beef Pepper Rice with a red wine sauce
- 1 Frying Pan
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Red Wine
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tbsp Onion Paste
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 pinch Salt
- 10 g Butter
- 180 g Frying beef steak(chopped into 0.5cm)or just use sliced beef
- 2 Green Onions Finely Chopped
- 3 tbsp Sweet Corn
- 300 g Cooked Rice
- 5 g Butter for cooking
- 1 pinch Salt
- ½ Green Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 pinch Black Pepper
- Slice the beef and season with a pinch of salt
- Put all the sauce ingredients into a small bowl and mix well
- Using freshly steamed rice, fill a rice bowl. Press the rice down so it takes the shape of the bowl.
- Preheat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the butter and allow it to melt. Then carefully add the rice to the centre of the pan. Next lay the beef around the rice. Using the back of a spoon push down gently on the top of the rice to form a shallow dent. Add the sweet corn, green onions and finally the butter on top.Allow it to cook for a couple of minutes.
- Once the beef is half cooked, pour the sauce over the beef.Then you can start to mix everything together and let it all cook through.
- Sprinkle over the remaining chopped green onions.You can enjoy this straight from the pan or plate it, the choice is yours! Hope you enjoy your meal 🙂