Yakisoba, is Japanese stir-fry noodles. Although soba means buckwheat, the noodles used are actually made from wheat flour. The flavour comes from a sauce which uses a condiment similar to Worcestershire sauce.
Yakisoba is prepared by frying pre-cooked ramen-style noodles with thinly sliced bite-sized pork and finely chopped vegetables like cabbage, onions, bean sprouts and carrots. Then flavoured with yakisoba sauce. It can be served with aomori (seaweed powder), beni shoga (shredded pickled ginger), katsuobushi (bonito fish flakes) or Japanese mayo.
In Japan it is very easy to buy meat specifically for dishes like Yakisoba, very thinly sliced pork. Living in England I have found it incredibly difficult to find meat like this. In the steps I explain the best way to get your pork lovely and thin.
Also in Japan they have “Yakisoba” pre-packed noodles, we will use “straight-to-wok” noodles as the Japanese variety are hard to come by.
- 2 pieces Thin Cut Pork Loin Steaks (or similar)
- 5 pieces White Cabbage (approx 200g)
- 1 Small Onion
- 1 handful Bean Sprouts
- 2 packets Straight to Wok Noodles
- 1 pinch Salt
- 3 tsp Oil for Cooking
- 1 splash Sake ( or Rice Wine / White Wine)
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- ½ tsp Bonito Soup Stock Powder (Dashi Powder)
- 1 pinch White Pepper
- 1 Green Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1 handful Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes)
- ¼ sheet Nori Seaweed (Finely Sliced)
- 2 Fried Eggs
- Slice the pork steaks in to 4 smaller portions. Next slice each smaller piece through the middle, so it becomes thinner. Cut the pieces in half, so they are bite size pieces. Once this is done add a splash of Rice Wine and mix. (See notes)
- Put the noodles into water to wash away the extra oil and loosen them. Then dry them ready for cooking later.
- Cut out the hard part of the cabbage and then cut into bite size pieces.
- Slice the onion.
- Prepare the sauce, mix all ingredients into a bowl.
- Add 1tsp oil into a frying pan over a medium heat and add the noodles. Fry until they take a little colour (see photo). Once cooked remove them from the pan and save for later.
- Add another tsp of oil to the pan (medium heat), add the pork and fry it until it is cooked though, then remove it.
- Add the final tsp of oil into the frying pan (medium heat), put in the cabbage and onion and stir-fry until it becomes soft. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Then remove and set aside.
- Put the pork back into the pan and push to one side, also add the noodles and push to the other side. Pour the sauce mixture into the noodles and mix. Then mix the pork with the noodles and add the vegetables back, mix well.
- Add in the Bean Sprouts and mix well too.
- Add the topping and you’re ready to serve.
- Enjoy your meal 🙂